CONWAY SPORTS HALL OF FAME
Deadline to Apply
November 30, 2016
The Hall of Fame is dedicated to preserving the history of sports in the City of Conway. Its purpose is to recognize and perpetuate the noteworthy athletic tradition of the Conway community by honoring and memorializing individuals, teams, corporations, companies and/or organizations that have made outstanding contributions to this tradition. The Hall of Fame will operate under the Authority of Conway Parks, Recreation & Tourism and under the consent of the Conway City Council.
The Hall of Fame will honor those individuals who have achieved athletic accomplishments as a player, coach or administrator or those teams, corporations, companies, and/or organizations that have made a significant impact on sports in Conway through contributions in the field of athletics.
Conway Parks, Recreation & Tourism shall administer the business and affairs of the Hall of Fame and will coordinate a banquet and conduct the induction.
Conway Parks, Recreation & Tourism will sponsor the ceremonies for induction and provide the awards presented to inductees in the Hall of Fame. Conway Parks, Recreation & Tourism shall provide a formal plaque for placement in the Hall of Fame for any individual enshrined and a duplicate award to the individual. In the case of teams being enshrined, Conway Parks, Recreation & Tourism shall provide the formal plaque for the Hall of Fame and a suitable plaque of recognition shall be provided each individual of that team.
Placement of the Hall of Fame plaque will be determined by the Parks, Recreation & Tourism Director.
Conway Parks, Recreation & Tourism shall advertise the nomination process and deadlines for candidates to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Nomination Forms shall be available at the Conway Parks, Recreation & Tourism administrative office.
Nominations should include:
1. Documentation of the Accomplishments of the nominees.
2. Statistical Data, newspaper clippings, etc…
3. Background information on the nominees.
4. Any additional information helpful to making a selection.
Nominations shall be delivered to the attention of the Parks, Recreation & Tourism Director.
Nominations for future inductions shall be received every two years thereafter by November 30 of odd numbered years.
Induction shall be held the following spring.
All nominations will remain confidential.
All unsuccessful nominees have the option to reapply for the nomination process.
The Parks, Recreation & Tourism Staff will compile necessary data and research for review.
CRITERIA FOR INDUCTION
Individuals who have achieved athletic accomplishments as a player, coach, administrator or sponsor shall be eligible. Those individuals, teams, corporations, companies and/or organizations who have made a significant contribution to the advancement of sports in the Conway area shall be eligible.
1. All individual inductees must be of good character and reputation.
2. The candidates’ athletic accomplishments and contributions to sports must have been worthy of the program purpose by upholding the athletic tradition of the Conway community, thus enhancing Conway as well as themselves.
3. Candidates eligible for induction must have achieved their accomplishments at least two years preceeding induction.
4. Consideration of deceased nominees to the Hall of Fame shall not take place until at least two years after the nominee's date of death.
Candidates for the Hall of Fame who have been selected for induction and cannot attend the ceremonies have the choice of designating someone to accept for them. In the event the candidate is deceased, every effort will be made to reach their spouse or next of kin to make the acceptance for them.
Any individual, team, corporation, company or organization that meets the Criteria for Induction must also meet at least one of the following eligibility requirements to be considered for nomination and induction:
1. Born in Conway.
2. Resident or non-resident of Conway, who or which has made a significant contribution to athletics in Conway, directly or indirectly, as an athlete, coach, official, administrator or sponsor.
3. Performed meritorious service for athletics in Conway.
4. A former resident of Conway whose athletic accomplishments, service or contribution to sports has been worthy of the athletic tradition of Conway.
ELECTION OF INDUCTEES
1. The Parks, Recreation & Tourism Director shall present a slate of candidates with supporting documentation to City Council.
2. For election to the Hall of Fame, a candidate must receive a majority vote of City Council. Council decision shall be final.
3. A maximum of four candidates may be inducted into the Hall of Fame every two years. No minimum number of candidates must be inducted.